Monday, October 31, 2011

Seattle King County Move Event

Overview
Seattle King County Health Department, Creative Narrative and local community partners hosted a community forum using stories as a strategy to engage community members with their elected officials.

We captured the community event and interviews with storytellers, Creative Narrative staff, CPPW Principal Investigator, Health Department Communications staff, and elected officials.

Primary use: Show an example of how to use story to engage community members and influence policy change. (on Prevention Speaks and in story training)

Successes
-Over 100 community members attended the event.
-Audience was diverse.
-Four of 8 City Council Members attended.
-Audience watched stories attentively
-Audience members asked questions after the policy maker panel.
-This was a powerful event and a great example of how to use story. I plan to include this in the story use sessions for both Cook County and MN training
- We captured some powerful quotes from story tellers, PI and elected officials.

Quote from Moderator
“ I’ve lived here 20 years and never seen anything like this”

Challenges;
This was my first time as "producer" and I have a lot to learn. There were so many moving stories and quotes that it was challenging to know what would be most useful and relevant. It may be a challenge to edit this into a story.

Although I was glad to have the camera...I'm new at using it...so didn't capture as many usable photos as I would have liked.

Planning was rushed. Creative brief was very brief

Next Steps
1. Debrief with Suzanne is scheduled
2. Debrief with Alan on lessons learned from using a videographer
3. Scheduling an editing meeting?

Note- I created a more detailed report in google docs

1 comment:

  1. The photos really help me get a feel for the event! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.