(I realize my bumper isn't correct and there are audio issues to fix)
On Monday I had the privilege of capturing the story of a close partner of ours,
Melissa Horn of the American Heart Association. I'm using it as a non-government model in my AHA training today, and edited it to specifically illustrate the story checklist we'll be using in an activity to evaluate our stories.
I made sure to ask Melissa some meta questions too, here is a quickie...
***Thanks to Hannah and Alan for your assistance!***
Kyle: I'm interested in the idea of story check list...i tried something similar at the tobacco control workshop...though it was having participant look for the top tips. What's on your check list?
ReplyDeleteWow powerful! I really liked that she had props to show...seeing the photos added variety and depth. Did it add a lot of time to take those shots? Did you film the story and then go back and get shots of the photos?
ReplyDeleteWhat's a bumper?
I liked having a the quick 15 second what was it like to tell your story...a glimpse at the back story.
Thank you Kyle, Alan and Hannah!
Really liked the panning and the photos/props. I'm teary.
ReplyDelete@Julie It's the same as I showed you and Suzanne in my presentation, I use the simple checklist from "The Elements of Persuasion"... Passion, Character, Conflict, Transformation, Drop Off (this one I added).
ReplyDelete@Julie I asked Melissa to bring props and photos with her because I wanted to have B-roll to differentiate it from a normal storybooth video. I asked her to "show and tell" the props while I taped, which added a little time to the shoot. I think it's stylistically worth the time since it required not extra setup.
@Julie A bumper is a branded video clip that you put at the beginning or end of your story.
Thanks for your feedback!
@Sarah Thanks, it seems ppl are liking the addition of b-roll.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this.
ReplyDelete@Shirly Appreciate the comment!
ReplyDeleteWow, I knew Melissa had worked for ACS before AHA but I didn't know her story. I loved the b-roll, I think it really added to the story similar to doing a digital story with still images and voice over. Would you try this again?
ReplyDelete@Jill - I too love the power of story to get us to understand colleagues at a deeper level, and gain power from others commitment to our issue. Thanks for the b-roll thoughts, I think I will definitely try this again for video stories that aren't constrained to the "booth" format/time constraint.
ReplyDelete