Friday, August 12, 2011

How Can We Make Presentations Stick?


How do you make sure participants actually apply their learning after a training?

I'm trying a technique at the end of presentations where I ask participants to write down ways they plan to apply their new skills in their work. Then I collect the cards and mail them back in two weeks as a reminder.

In today's mailing to my Wood County storytellers, I've included a handwritten note, a few "take home" tips from my presentation, and a postcard that I asked them to return to let us know if they've used their story yet... I'll let you know what return rate I get. Obviously, this isn't substituting for our actual eval follow-up, I'm just trying to experiment with print mail as another TA touch for salience.

What have you tried?

6 comments:

  1. I like this idea and have attended other trainings where the presenters have used similar tactics. Can you share in person what you sent them - maybe at our next staff meeting? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jill - There's a blown up copy of the "tips" hanging on the success wall and a stack of the postcards (haven't been cut) on my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea...I have done this before as a prompt to action. Right now I am thinking I'd need to make it as easy as possible...as in participants write on postcards that are pre-stamped..and they write the address on them...so all I have to do is put them in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Julie I've seen it done that way too. Because my TA is continuing with this audience I'm wondering if a personalized touch will help me build relationships?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm eager to hear about results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work. Let's predict that the designed postcards matched with the handwritten letter will push their motivation to move on their stories.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.