Friday, May 13, 2011

"I Got Chills"


I screened the Chilton stories yesterday (via phone) with our WI farm-to-school technical assistance partners. Overall, everyone enjoyed the stories and found them highly useable. But the audience has strong opinions - with their TA hats on there was quite a bit of concern (Diane, Doug, and Sara) that the stories didn't go far enough into fulfull. I'll be hosting another call with them to explore fulfill opportunities through the supplementary TA resources. Also, we had a GDocs tech success for collaborative feedback, but a vimeo failure.

Some highlights (details here):

Doug Wubben, Farm to School Specialist (UW Center for Integrated Agriculture Systems)
"I’ve been doing this work for 9 years and I got excited.”
"I love the flow, it’s right on”

Sara Tedeschi, Great Lakes Farm to School Coordinator (UW CIAS)
“This is a beautiful intro to the toolkits."
"Excellent tone, moves quickly, not boring."

Amanda Knitter, ARRA1 Coordinator (WI Department of Health Services)
"I got chills. Makes it seem doable and very empowering while still acknowledging the change the needs to happen to expand."
"I'm doing this work and I felt empowered."
"I have never seen anything like this on farm to school and I think everyone would want to use it.

Diane Chapeta, Nutriton Director (Chilton Public Schools)
"They were beautifully shot, really well done."

Bridget Holcomb, Associate Director of Public Policy (Michael Fields Agriculture Institute)
“Farmers believe farmers. It’s good to hear the farmer say it.

Steve Elliott, Policy & Grassroots Specialist (Health First Wisconsin)
"Great tool for an action alert and social media."
"Will motivate people to join the movement for farm to school."

Melissa Horn, Government Relations Director (American Heart Association)
"GREAT! Made it look easy and seemed realistic."
"I feel warm and fuzzy."

Some lessons: 1) Hold separate screenings for the storyteller and TA providers. 2) We still have some vimeo issues to work out. 3) It's difficult to get the right depth of feedback. 4) TA providers don't really understand the "arouse" role, they're focused on "fulfill". 5) GDocs helped capture everyone's reactions without the facilitator having to take notes. 6) I couldn't get pictures or visual reactions over the phone.

2 comments:

  1. Great summary Kyle. although you couldn't see faces you did quotes that let us know what the initial response was. I am interested in the fulfill discussion and where that goes. Also interested to hear Dianne's reaction ( and if you ever figured out what got in the way of her viewing the video)

    You did an excellent job facilitating the debrief...there were a number of times when the group could have gotten stuck on concenrs about specific quotes..and you brought them back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard more positive feedback at the farm to school advocacy meeting after the screening - everyone is excited about the multiple uses they see for the videos.

    They were never meant to replace TA and I think that is where the resources on the page come into play - arousing and then making connections to clear next steps. Can't blame TA providers in seeing the need for TA!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.