Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Live from WSUM!

Today I had a special guest on my talk show 'Fit for Feats' - Typically I play music that makes me wanna move & chat about health: nutrition, fitness and the environment we live in and explore! I started at WSUM Madison's Student Radio as a health news reporter and then realized that although an hour long talk show requires much more content - I aim to provide information that is fun and useful!

Anyway - Kyle was on my show today! We talked about the importance of prevention and what is going on in schools and communities as well as policies being discussed right now! We started with the aim of introducing students/listeners to what prevention work is and how to get involved, then focused on big issues like tobacco and obesity and finished with some relaxing music... Kyle threaded in the power of your voice and hit home the fact that legislatures and representatives are people too - you can't expect them to know how you feel unless you share your story!

We sent people to preventionspeaks.org if they wanted to watch Diane's Story, and also plugged makefarm2schoolhappen.org for people who want updates. We later read the 'absolutely no call to action'. I thought it meant for dj's not to tell people to buy tickets for a show, but lesson learned, in the future we will work on semantics and use more 'if you would like more info...'

Kyle was an excellent guest on the show because of his wealth of knowledge, ability to tell off the cuff stories and he even asks and answers his own questions (especially when he is speaking abstractly and then brings it in with real examples)!!! Thank you Kyle, it was a lot of fun and a great experience for me! Also his first question was 'can we have a dance party in here' - which my answer was of course 'YES' - we attempted Janelle Monae's Tightrope, and we even did a little Robert Palmer's 'Addicted to Love' grooving...

View from inside the studio!

Future Plans for my show: I was hoping to have a show where people (perhaps from WCH) call in and share their story, ask questions etc. I am also planning on having Alan come have a chat. Please let me know if you are interested in checking out the studio (its on the 4th floor!), coming for an interview or just calling in. I would love to have you!!

Fit for feats is on Wednesdays at 12p on 91.7 FM or streaming live on wsum.org
If you missed the show and want to hear it let me know - I will have the mp3 file tomorrow

6 comments:

  1. Sorry I missed it - thanks for posting though. I'm going to turn some music on now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if it was recorded..would love to hear it...thanks for sharing...made me smile to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caitlin, your energy is amazing. I am sorry I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Caitlin! Gotta say it felt risky having a live off-the-cuff conversation without prep, but it paid off... it was lots of fun and great practice of messaging and storytelling. I'd recommend the experience to all other WCHers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those interested in listening to interview with Kyle/Radio show - Kyle has the file!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.