I've already shared how I captured her story,
...but what's next?
Usage!
I called Melissa Horn today to help her create her story's Usage Plan. We created it by walking through a series of questions in a Google Doc so she and I could collaboratively create the plan. This is the process I've used before for "Guerilla Stories" (i.e. Jack, Diane). This time I gave her both Vimeo and YouTube links attached to our analytics, as well as asked her to use bit.ly links in her action alert or other communications so we can track clicks.
Identified Uses
- Fundraising. She'll be adding the video to her Heart Walk page to help raise funds.
- Action Alert. She'll be emailing the AHA WI's You’re the Cure advocacy network to ask members to share their story, using her video as an example.
- Train Volunteers. She wants to train her lead volunteers on storytelling skills.
- Train AHA Colleagues. After seeing the Chicago presentation last week, her regional manager asked her to present on storytelling to all AHA advocacy staff (grassroots directors, lobbyists) from 11 states in a Midwest Region Training in late September. She'll be using and tailoring our content and using her video.
- Legislators. She unsure how to make legislative impact with video stories, but was really adamant about them as an audience. She wants to experiment with posting the video on her legislators' Facebook pages with personal notes, to see if this gets watched by staffers more than sending it in an email.
- Survivor Support Groups. She will personally share the video in survivor networks. From her perspective as a young survivor, in person support groups are harder for younger people who are more comfortable connecting with other survivors online. She thinks the video will help personalize some of these online interactions.

Next Steps
Not sure where our evaluators take it from here, but Melissa will be adding (in real-time) her experiences and reactions to the Usage Plan and she'd like to chat in a month about how everything went.
How are you tracking story usage?
*************************
Addendum: Julie and Shirley were asking how/if other stories are being used. Here is Jack's Usage Plan (created by Julie Logue, Jack, and I) and Diane's Usage Plan (created by Sara Tedeschi, Doug Wubben, Steve Elliott, Melissa Horn, Amanda Knitter, Diane Chapeta, and I) . There will be a Usage Plan for Layne's Story once it's edited. I'm not familiar with the usage plans that Julie/Alan use for their storybooth launches, or that Story Team uses for their WPT stories.
Kyle, you rock these reports with simplicity and grace. These usage plans will be a great starting point for Sarah Moen, who'll track the Story Team stories and maybe some of the storybooth work (Alan, Julie?). My favorite thing is that you gave Melissa links to her analytics - way to empower.
ReplyDeleteLooks like we'll seriously need a storytelling train the trainer soon.
I am really humbled by the power of how Melissa talks about telling and using her story. Thanks for sharing Kyle!! I also love the photo of melissa with the quote...probably easy to do..but I'd need a "show me how"
ReplyDeleteThese posts are really valuable to me for thinking about the PS website audiences (valuable for other reasons, too!). Thanks.
ReplyDelete