Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Why Use Story? Kaua’i Training Day


An interesting thought: the first training in this format happened in Maui and the most recent training in this format happened in Kaua’i. Alan and I were present during both trainings and so we had engaging dialogue on the similarities and changes that have taken place in the past half-year. Alan has been present at more of the trainings than me, so the differences were more striking to me. One of my favorite exercises (and Alan’s, also) is Why Use Story? It accomplishes many things:

· Sets the tone for the rest of the training

· Makes people aware of what they already know

· Creates an opportunity to get people moving their bodies (good for adult learning)

· Builds confidence

· Creates buy in

· Builds trust with the trainers

· Fun!


Here are the ideas shared by the three groups in this training. I especially love the emphasis on place, mind expansion, excitement, change and safety (non threatening).






































Again, I am reminded the importance of culture. A training participant made a comment that Hawaiians eat more spam per capita than residents of any other state in the nation. I did a bit of searching and found out that yes, it’s true… spam is even referred to as Hawaiian steak. In April, they will have an annual festival called ‘The Spam Jam’. That said, Alan and I agree that Spam consumption anywhere is not the point; it depends on how you look at it… It depends on the approach made to prevent chronic disease. If places are healthy, if they support human connection, safe spaces, value diverse ways of thinking and doing, then it doesn’t mater if you eat a spam steak for breakfast every once in a while.









Taking into account history and environments and design of communities, public health used to seep into every aspect of life in order to prevent disability and death. Alan observed that this was because the main cause of death was infectious disease. Perhaps if public health made its presence in all sectors, like it did in the past, it will automatically be integrated into the planning of communities and the approach to prevention efforts.

At the end of the training Alan had an exercise planned where we stand in a circle and say what we will take away from the training. This group automatically held hands (despite Alan saying it wasn’t necessary) and one participant shared a song in Hawaiian – it was like a prayer – it was beautiful. It was one of the things I took away with me. Here it is:

Doxology in Olelo

Ho'o nani Ka Makua Mua

Ke Keiki Me Ka Uhane no

Ke Akua Mau

Ho'o Mai Ka'ipu

Ko Ke ia ao, Ko ke la ao

Amene

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful description of your training day in Kaua'i! I would love to hear the Hawaiian song.. and maybe I'd go to the Spam Jam, just to observe the insanity.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.