Monday, March 19, 2012

Where are people supporting MF2SH?

I recently heard from an awesome public health practitioner in my Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health class.  Her name is Suzanne Gaulocher (TWIST!  It's someone you know!), and she gave a talk on community engagement.  In her research, she utilizes participatory photo mapping.  It inspired me to play around with the loads of data collected on the Make Farm to School Happen listserv.  If you've visited makefarm2schoolhappen.org (and if you haven't, do it now!), you know we collected name, address, e-mail, phone number, and why this is important to the supporter.  

I used Google fusion tables to plot the addresses and cities and see where we should concentrate more effort.  Take a look:

Supporters by Address




The unfortunate thing is that I haven't figured out how to export the map.  I think you can link it, embed it, and export the .csv file, but not the map itself.  So I'm making do with a cropped screenshot, but it's enough to tell where supporters are located.  Everywhere!










Supporters by City


Using Fusion tables is really easy once you get the hang of it.  I imported the .csv file with the supporter data, then hit "visualize."  There are a ton of things one can do in FT, but this is as far as I've gotten.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this Christy. We obviously talk about how we embrace the Wisconsin Idea, but this shows it. Show, don't tell! As a communications piece internally and a project management tool for monitoring our progress, this data visualization is a powerful tool. Great work, I look forward to new layers we we grow our grassroots (i.e. level of engagement, or weighed by number of supporters).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could this be sent out to the mf2sh list to show the growing movement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy, thanks for the how-to as you showed this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy !!! I just read this -- before i looked at the maps without reading thoroughly ! You are so so amazing to put this together. Maps maps maps!!! (aka - place place place)...
    Thank you for posting !!!
    suz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhmazing! Love it! It's so exciting to SEE that the movement is happening all over the state.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.