Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Powerful words from a local 6th grader


Cara Ladd, one of our Make Farm to School Happen warriors, has been a volunteer during the past semester at Badger Rock Middle School.  She told me the students are currently in a temporary building which does not even have a cafeteria; lunches are shipped in daily.  She writes, "I have seen students throw away unopened packages, choosing to go hungry instead of eating this food.  Usually their choice is not out of rebellion or poor behavior, but rather a simple disdain for the low quality of the product they are told is lunch."  

Cara sent me a stack of letters from sixth grade students who wrote regarding their opinions on the school lunch.  Students were asked to write what they like or do not like about school lunch, what they would change, and how lunch could be better.  I thought this letter was written very well by an obviously bright gal.  I have about 20 more on my desk if anyone is interested.  




6 comments:

  1. Funny and sad all in one! Could pull a quote or two for the make farm to school happen list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that Elizabeth wants healthy food BUT also yummy and delightful. We all do! Too bad she assumes it doesn't automatically happen that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words! I like the "yummy and delightful" part too

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sarah I actually sent them the whole letter...to powerful to not share. Thanks for your comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.