Google Fusion Tables are a powerful data visualization tool we can promote to communities & partners. Think of it as ArcGIS made easy and free.
From Sue: "Google Fusion Tables are great for any kind of data visualization. This link brings you to a slideshow about how to do the tables. Here are Fusion tutorials. Mapping the Storm Clean-up uses Fusion tables to crowd-source a NY snowstorm (via texts). Here is another good tutorial. "
Reframing MexicoA classmate shared this beautifully designed website that combines video stories and data visualization resources to tell stories of esta vida mexicana.

Wildly Creative Uses of Molecular Data (for when we partner with WID, right?)
From Sue: "Data Visualization via Computers. In this "Making of" video, check out what Radiohead did with their video for House of Cards. In Google Code, you can start thinking about your own kind of data visualization."
Love the Radiohead video... and that you combined data and art in one post!
ReplyDeleteGoogle fusion tables are SUPER easy to use! I had never heard of them until this post, but I did very, very limited GIS work at my old job. ArcGIS is daunting and hard to learn. Using some mail merge data from my old job, I was able to geocode the addresses in the google fusion table and see the reach of our newsletter in about 5 minutes. The only thing I had to figure out (which I'm sure is covered in the tutorials, but I haven't watched those yet) is to use .csv files instead of .xlsx. This imported much cleaner. Awesome, awesome tool.
ReplyDelete