
As most of you know, I've been experimenting with story coaching over google Chat. This week my two storytellers were a fishing lure maker and an educator from Mount Ayr Iowa. Most importantly (I think), the coaching prompts the storyteller to rehearse and grants permission to play with telling the same story in different ways.
After the first telling, I facilitate the storyteller reflecting on each of 5 major storytelling elements in his/her story (character, passion, conflict, transformation, drop off). We discuss strengths and weaknesses and make changes for the second telling.
Before the third telling, together, we construct a few major "guideposts" to establish memorable moments along the story's path, which also can help smooth awkward transitions. The metaphor of storytelling as a "path with guideposts" seems to give the storyteller license to wander without losing their talking points, which I think is important for live storytelling not feeling scripted. Usually by the third telling, the storyteller is feeling more comfortable and sensing how to accentuate the strengths of their story.

After the session, I type up a "story map" (pdf) which serves as a reminder of the path we've charted along with the written "guideposts" if they need them. I'll hopefully be able to debrief if this tool is helpful... and I'm interested to juxtapose it with the common crutch of a full script during high-pressure storytelling.
Here are some reactions to the experience:
Judy: An educator from Mount Ayr, Iowa.
- "Sequence was important to me, and you helped with that."
- "When you have a timeline like we have, then winging it is less ideal... because its essential to cover the main points."
Lonnie: An lure fisherman from Mount Ayr, Iowa.
- "Oh definitely it helped me be more comfortable with my story."
- "The story has evolved. The longer we talked about it here, the easier it’s come."
- "I think you have given me some ideas of things that I’ve been thinking on. I don’t really need to worry about some, and some of them I hadn’t thought of that need to be put in order."
Chris: The CPPW Program Director
- "I think it'll come out the way it's supposed to come out, with the help of the guide posts."
- "You outdid yourself on this brother, going the extra mile to get these to look very professional and useful for the storyteller."
- "Whatever it is you guys do up there in Wisconsin to put out work like this, keep it up!"
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.