I have to admit..it was not the response I expected. Alan and I were facilitating the first story booth launch. The story was sent to the story teller so he could watch the video before we talked via phone.
” What do you think of your story?”
"I hate it…it’s too close…you see all my acne.” ( talk about an honest response)
Once I got over my dismay that someone would hate their story…it made perfect sense. Storybooth stories are filmed up close and personal…but not many of us are used to looking ourselves in the eye as we tell a personal story. It is easy to imagine being self critical…and this teller was.
He talked about being a private person, wishing he hadn’t used certain words, wondering what had been edited out and wishing he had been more prepared to tell his story. The word that really sticks in my mind is…” vulnerable. “ We have heard this before…telling your story publicly can make you feel vulnerable.
What we said to him: You are a hero. It takes courage to tell a personal story on video. Your vulnerability…the fact that you told a story from your heart...is what makes your story so powerful. Your willingness to share your story so authentically may inspire others. Thank you for your courage.
He plans to show his story to his family and then to his colleagues. Proof of his courage!
What can we do to help storytellers feel less vulnerable…or to be OK with feeling vulnerable?
I've never been in a story booth but do we have protocol in place that shows the storytelling what the shot looks like and the reasons that we make in that close. Seems like a lot of the fear could be alleviated up front when collecting the story - we just need to take the time to do it.
ReplyDelete