Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Emilio the Watchmaker.




Love these Berkley tips for beautiful multimedia stories...

1) Surround yourself with the best
2) It's about telling stories, not using technology
3) Find your main character
4) Without emotion, there is no communication
5) Mix photos and videos
6) Use music to reinforce
7) Constantly search for inspiration
8) Be deliberate about how you edit


The screenshots are from a beautiful piece about Emilio, the Watchmaker.


Do any of the tips resonate with your production experiences?

2 comments:

  1. Ha, I posted this 6 minutes after you, so I deleted the duplicate post.

    I think I'm going to steal tip 3 verbatim to use in future trainings. "Human beings have a limited capacity to synthesize abstract ideas and situations in a short period of time. Therefore, it’s important for stories to have characters. Choose characters that your viewers can relate to somehow, and play up that relatability. There must be something universal about them and/or their experience — people who are the examples, not the exceptions. Use their micro stories to talk about the macro topic."

    I think tip 5 gives a great, simple explanation about when to use photo vs video.

    I disagree with their 6th tip, however, I think they air too far on the side of caution when it comes to music. Many of my favorite sequences in film and documentary alike would lose much of their power if it wasn't for well-chosen music. I'm worried their text as written could hold people back.

    They do close on a great quote: "It’s an exciting time to work in multimedia. It is a space that isn’t yet filled with dogma, rules etched in stone or restrictions. More importantly, it’s a space to truly document the people and stories that we as storytellers have the privilege to experience. You can experiment, obsess over details and emotions."

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that this resonated with you too, it totally reminded me of our work together. I 100% agree with your point about number 6... tend to think music videos have plenty of emption and narrative on their own :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.