Just a few reminders:
- The most tender and flaky pastry shells are made with well-chilled ingredients
- Don't handle the dough any more than necessary
- I recommend making single recipe for each crust you need - the results will be better than trying to double the recipe for a double crust pie, for example, and it's so easy it doesn't take long at all
Ingredients for a single 9" or 9.5" shell:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup solid white vegetable shortening (like Crisco), chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter, chilled
- 1/4 cup ice water, divided (I just stick a measuring cup with water into the freezer, then use tablespoons to dip water out as I need it)
- 1 teaspoon white or cider vinegar
- 1 egg white, beaten (optional) - I don't use this - it's used if you bake the shell first, which I don't usually do for my pies
Cut in the shortening and butter until the particles are as small as rice grains
(I use a wire pastry blender - Oxo Good Grips Dough Blender works great)
Sprinkle half the water (about 3 tablespoons) and all of the vinegar over the flour mixture
Toss with a fork
Add the remaining water (about 3 tablespoons) and toss with a fork.
The dough should be just moist enough to hold together.
Gently shape into a 5" disk.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
When the dough has chilled:
On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry to a 12" round (turn and lightly flour if needed on the other side)
Drape the rolled dough over your pie plate and gently push it down into the form. Trim the dough about 1/2" from the edge of the pie plate. Crimp the edges of the dough around the top rim of the pie plate. You are now ready to pour ingredients into the crust or pre-bake if instructed to do so with your recipe.

Nancy, thanks for the recipe and vote of confidence for pie-from-scratch!
ReplyDelete