Thursday, January 13, 2011

Don't be Such a Scientist

Hope you can open this larger (because who wouldn't want to see Arnold in all his glory?).


This is from "Don't be Such a Scientist" have you heard of it? He's a marine biologist PhD who went to film school and then wrote a book about it.

The image basically summarizes the book, (and is featured in Resonate by Nancy Duarte).

I am finding this very useful in thinking about how to use video and visual stories to convey information. For instance, in film school they first had to master visual imagery by analyzing films with sound turned off just to see what stories the visual images told. Thier first film projects as students were soundless and had to stand on their own (they weren't aloud to add in sound until they mastered telling stories visually).

Anyhow, his point is that good communication has two jobs, arouse and fufill (which Arnold helps illustrate here). It's exactly the formula I hope we can pull off in the mentoring stores and Prevention Speaks! Maybe I'd tweak it to inspire/arouse and fulfill/act. (Maybe this formula helps answer Kyle's "so what" question.... ?!)

http://www.dontbesuchascientist.com/

He also does a blog that focuses on storytelling for science (particularly climate change). This is a great post on arouse and fufill and the construction/destruction of stories in science
http://thebenshi.com/2010/01/28/8-interview-tom-hollihan-usc-annenberg-school-of-communication-arousing-fulfilling-telling-stories-and-debating-global-warming/

-Carrie

1 comment:

  1. I ( of course) want to read the book. nancy, hoping we are ordering it ( or can I order it?)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.